**PSALM 90 v 12 : "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."
**Ephesians 5 v 15-17 : "See then that ye walk circumspectly not as fools but as wise; Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise but understanding what the will of the Lord is."
**When God appeared to Solomon and asked him what he wanted, Solomon asked for wisdom.
What is wisdom?
**Job 28v 28 says “…the fear of the Lord – that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.”
**Micah 6v9 “…and to fear your name is wisdom…”
What is the fear of God?
- it means giving God due honour and reverence.
- To stand in holy awe before God
- To believe Him and have faith in Him
- To respect Him, His Son and His Word
- To tremble at God’s Word.
- To submit ourselves to Him. We need to have teachable spirits and broken will.
Job 12v13 says “With Him are wisdom and might.”
Dan 2v20 says “Wisdom and power belong to Him.”
That is why people have defined wisdom as knowing what to do, when and how to do it - it is the ability to apply knowledge and intelligence to the affairs of life.
**Jerry Ortiz y Pino says "Wisdom is the ability to make sound choices, good decisions. The best decision. Wisdom is intelligence shaped by experience. Information softened by understanding"
Sources of wisdom
(1) Age [ 1 Cor 13v11]
(2) Word of God – Ps 19v7 says that the Word of God makes wise the simple.
(3) The rod [Prov 29 v15; 19v18; 22v15; 17v10; Col 3v21; 2 Tim 3v16-17]
- Parents ought to instruct and discipline their children. One John MacArthur said "… if you focus your energies on the trivial things, you will raise shallow children who set their affections on trivial things. Devote your energies to teaching profound things, and you will raise children of profound character who love wisdom."
(4) The fear of the Lord – Prov 1v7 says “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.”
(5) Asking from God [James 1v5]
Some Benefits of wisdom
(1) It is a wellspring of life [Prov 10v27; 14v27; 19v23]
(2) It brings wealth
(3) It brings health to the body
Nuggets from the Proverbs of Solomon
Prov 1v20-22; 8; Ps 2v1-4; Col 2v3
Fear the Lord
Job 28v28; Ps 111v10; prov 1v7; 9v10; 15v33.
Guard your heart and mind
Prov 4v23; 23v7; Ps 101v3; Phil 4v8; Mk 7v20-22.
Listen to your parents - natural and spiritual
Prov 1v8; 4v1; 6v20; 30v17
Select good companions
Prov 13v20; 1v10-18; 2v10-15
Control your lusts
2 Tim 2v22; Prov 2v16-19; 5v3-5; 6v23-33; 7v6-27
Enjoy your spouse
Prov 5v15-20; Eph 5v31; 1 Thess 4v3-5
Watch your words
Prov 4v24; 10v11,19-21,32; 12v18,22; 15v7; 16v23; 20v15; James 3v8
Prov 6v6-11; 22v29; 10v4-5; 2 Thess 3v10
Be a good steward
Prov 3v9-10; 11v24-26; 19v17; 22v9; 15v27; 6v1-5; 23v4; 11v28; .
**"A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just." [Prov 13v22 - see Ecc 7v11]
[Compiled by Innocent Maja]